As we’re getting closer to the 2017 Association of Internet Researchers conference in Tartu, Estonia, please remember that the deadline to register at the lower cost, Early Registration rate is 1 August 2017. At least one author from each accepted paper, panel, or other submission must be registered by that deadline to hold a position in the schedule.
Early Bird Rates (on or before 1 August 2017)
- Member Student: US$200
- Non-Member Student: US$250
- Member Professional: US$345
- Non-Member Professional: US$410
Registration is available here.
Read more ›
AoIR offers congratulations to the winner of the 2017 Carl J. Couch Internet Research Award, Chris Julien, a Ph.D. student in Sociology at The Pennsylvania State University. We look forward to meeting him and discussing his work this year in Tartu.
The Couch Award is presented annually by the Carl Couch Center for Social and Internet Research and recognizes excellent student-authored papers.
Chris’s paper, “The Information-Technological Media of Imgur, Reddit and Twitter,” uses Couch’s foundational work on information technologies to evaluate some sociological research since the time of his writing, and to argue that each unique website studied constitutes a distinct information-technological medium.
The Couch Award was established by the Couch Center in 2002 as the centerpiece of an extensive awards program. Competition is open to graduate or undergraduate students of all disciplines, and winners are selected by a committee of university professors. The winner receives a cash award as well as the opportunity to present the paper at the international conference of the Association of Internet Researchers in October.
We are excited to welcome the 2017-2019 Executive Committee to AoIR. The new Executive Committee will officially take office in October at the Association General Meeting. We hope you’ll join us in Tartu to meet with them and provide your input regarding the future direction of the Association.
Here is your 2017-2019 Executive Committee:
- President: Axel Bruns, Queensland University of Technology
- Vice President: Lynn Schofield Clark, University of Denver
- Immediate Past President: Jenny Stromer Galley, Syracuse University
- Secretary: Daren Brabham, University of Southern California
- Treasurer: Kelly Quinn, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Graduate Student Representative: Kate Miltner, University of Southern California
- Open Seats: 1) Crystal Abidin, National University of Singapore/Jönköping University; 2) Luca Rossi, IT University of Copenhagen; 3) Jack Linchuan Qiu, Chinese University of Hong Kong
AoIR is excited about our future with such capable hands at the helm.