2020 Nancy Baym Book Award Nominations
** Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic authors must submit books electronically **
We are pleased to call for nominations for the Nancy Baym Annual Book Award. Named after former Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) president Nancy Baym, this award recognizes the best scholarship of AoIR and highlights the breadth of work relating to the sociocultural dimensions of networked media. We accept nominations from AoIR members for books they found to be of great scholarly value and wish to champion. The books will be reviewed by a committee of Nancy Baym (chair), Nicholas John, Kat Tiidenberg, and Aram Sinnreich.
To be eligible for the award:
- The book must be authored or co-authored as a monograph and must explore a single topic (edited collections are not eligible).
- All of the book’s authors must be current members of AoIR at the time of submission (April 15, 2020). Memberships may be purchased here.
- The book must have been published between January 1 and December 31, 2019.
Each book should be accompanied by an emailed letter of nomination. Self-nominations from AoIR members are welcome. The letter of nomination, which must be written by a current member of AoIR, should outline:
- How the book contributes to AoIR’s intellectual community.
- The book’s unique contributions and overall strengths.
- If not a self-nomination, the letter should also include a statement that the nominated author has been contacted prior to its submission and accepts the nomination.
Books submitted without a meaningful nomination letter outlining both the strengths of the book and the book’s contribution to the AoIR community to AoIR will not be eligible.
Nominations and book copies in either digital or hard copy should arrive no later than April 15, 2020.
If digital, please provide access to BookAward [@] aoir.org.
Please indicate in the subject line: “AoIR Nancy Baym Book Award Submission.”
Hard copies (1 each) should be mailed to:
Microsoft, 12th floor
1 Memorial Drive
Cambridge, MA 02142 USA
Department of Communication
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
McKinley 324 School of Communication
4400 Massachussetts Ave NW
Washington DC 20016
Narva rd 25
10120 Tallinn ESTONIA