2017 AoIR Nancy Baym Book Award Nomination
We are pleased to call for nominations for the Nancy Baym Annual Book Award. Named after former Association of Internet Researchers (AoIR) president Nancy Baym, this award recognizes the best scholarship of AoIR and highlights the breadth of work relating to the sociocultural dimensions of networked media. We will accept nominations from AoIR members for books they found of great scholarly value and wish to champion. The books will be reviewed by a committee of Nancy Baym, Kate O’Riordan and chaired by Eugenia Siapera.
To be eligible for the award:
- The book must be authored or co-authored as a monograph and must explore a single topic (edited collections are not eligible).
- All of the book’s authors must be current members of AoIR at the time of submission (April 15, 2017).
- Memberships may be purchased at https://aoir.org/membership/.
The book must have been published between January 1 and December 31, 2016.
Each book should be accompanied by an emailed letter of nomination. Self-nominations from AoIR members are welcome. The letter of nomination, which must be written by a current member of AoIR, should outline:
- How the book contributes to AoIR’s intellectual community.
- The book’s unique contributions and overall strengths.
- If not a self-nomination, the letter should also include a statement that the nominated author has been contacted prior to its submission and accepts the nomination.
Books submitted without a meaningful nomination letter outlining both the strengths of the book and the book’s contribution to the AoIR community to AoIR will not be eligible.
Nomination letters and book copies in either digital or hard copy should arrive no later than April 15, 2017.
If digital, please provide access to BookAward@aoir.org.
Please indicate in the subject line: “AoIR Nancy Baym Book Award Submission.”
Hard copies (1 each) should be mailed to:
School of Communications,
Dublin City University
Director of Teaching and Learning
Media Film and Music
Silverstone Building 330
University of Sussex
Microsoft, 12th Floor
1 Memorial Dr.
Cambridge MA 02142 USA
The winner of the award will be announced in June 2017. In addition to winning a cash prize, the individual will also be invited to present during a panel session on the winning book at the AoIR conference in Tartu, Estonia, in October 2017.