The Association of Internet Researchers is among the premier international associations for students and scholars in the field of internet studies. We are an inclusive community and encourage membership by researchers ranging from cultural studies through social sciences to informatics, and beyond. Founded in 1998, AoIR organises academic conferences which annually bring together the best and brightest researchers and practitioners in Internet research.
Membership in AoIR connects you with our vibrant community of scholars, gives you access to our archive of past conference papers, and enables you to take advantage of discount book and journal discounts. It also supports the ongoing work of the Association.
Membership in AoIR provides support for the Association and gives you a voice in its affairs and its future. We strongly encourage all AIR-L list subscribers to support AoIR by becoming a member. AoIR members receive the following discounts which have been negotiated on your behalf by the AoIR Executive:
- Digital Formations series of monographs – variable discount (Peter Lang)
- New Media and Society, Global Media Convergence, Media, Culture and Society, Games and Culture, Social Studies of Science – 25% discount on the individual subscription rate (Sage)
- Information, Communication and Society – 80% discount on individual subscription rate (Routledge / Taylor and Francis)
- Cyberpsychology and Behaviour – 50%+ discount on the individual subscription rate (Lierbert)
- The Information Society Journal – 50%+ discount on the individual subscription rate (Taylor and Francis)
- Encyclopaedia of Human-Computer Interaction – 65% discount for this large volume (Berkshire)
Members of AoIR also receive access to the archives of submitted papers from previous conferences.
Membership of AoIR is relatively inexpensive compared to many professional and scholarly associations and brings with it several benefits, as well as being your way of helping support Internet scholarship and research. We would welcome you joining the association and helping us to grow and promote studies of the Internet. The annual membership dues (in US dollars) are as follows:
- Standard individual membership $45
- Students (including Ph.D. students) $30
- Individuals in non-OECD countries $10
- Lifetime individual membership $1000
- Institutional (academic department, library, etc.) $300
- Corporate sponsor (for-profit institution) $3000
Affiliate membership is available for persons and non-profit institutions in non-OECD countries – free to a maximum of two years, includes only basic AoIR.org web access.
Please note that new memberships and renewals are temporarily unavailable, as we move to a new membership system. Maintenance should be complete by January 15, if not sooner.
For any questions about membership costs, please contact AoIR’s Treasurer, Michael Zimmer: firstname.lastname@example.org